Monday, November 2, 2009

Goodbye Twin Lakes

Today I learned that my grandmother's country club, Twin Lakes, declared Chapter 7 bankruptcy this weekend. With an average member-age of about 70-years-old, we all knew this was coming, but it's still sad. (I'm pretty sure the Kemp-family gathering that occurred this past August for my cousin's wedding was the most business that pool snack bar had seen in seven years.)

My mom sent the following e-mail: What a shame! Lots of fun memories...Lauren's boom-boom rainbows, Amy learning to swim, Bob...forever tanning, Mom's surprise birthday party...tied up in balloons, my one-and-only fashion show modeling experience...very sad --- it's such a beautiful spot!

I think my favorite memory - or at least most memorable, along with Amy and Ro
bbie, is the time when we decided to go out on the lake in paddle boats and kayaks. Of course Amy and Robbie went off without a hitch and started to paddle away. I, on the other hand, was left to finagle my way into the kayak with only the help of my 80-year-old grandmother. I slowly stepped down into the kayak and suddenly saw my life flash before my eyes as I wobbled to the the left, then the right, and finally capsized and trapped myself underwater and under the boat. I could've died, but Amy and Robbie still laugh out loud over this - if you see them, ask them about it.

With that said, I've already marked it down to head back to Kent in September, 2023 to open the time capsule!
Oh, and for those not in the know, boom-boom rainbows are fireworks, thank you very much.

No comments: